Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Bawdy postcards or x rated mail art?

I take the role of archivist and open submission curator seriously. To date I have never received anything that offended me and all work that I've received has featured in exhibitions I have held.  These pieces by Daniel De Culla were also shown, but in the meantime I wrote to Daniel and explained that I felt they were too explicit for the Cranberry Island leg of the show.
I don't know Daniel but I suspected that his cards allude to seaside postcards of yore, or are concerned with a pun on cherries etc… whatever, I don't feel I am a gatekeeper. 

However, Cranberry Island is a tiny island and I already tiptoe around political differences, town and gown sensibilities and would never seek to offend.

So on the day of the show I asked lots of people what they thought and the response was divided.  In the end I put all the cards in an envelope on a table (labled) for clarity, but they were there, un-censored, provoking dialogue and even a bit of controversy.


No comments:

Post a Comment